Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Scott's 5-Minute Refrigerator Fudge





$0.13 per serving          92% savings          save $73.76 yearly



Scott is the youngest of my three brothers. He. ADORES. This. Fudge.

I have a very specific memory involving him and this fudge that always makes me smile:

As a teenager, he took time to make a batch of this fudge for himself. I was visiting home on Christmas break from college, and there it was: a glass pan of beautiful fudge (about 1/3 of it gone) sitting in all it's tempting glory on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. I asked my mom if I could please have some, and she said she was sure Scott wouldn't mind...

What, the??

Scott!?

Since when was he on fudge guard duty?

My mom informed me that SCOTT was the one who made it. So, technically it was his... but still she was sure he'd share. And, lucky for me, he did just that. He may have done it more out of a sense that it was the right thing to do than because he actually wanted to part with his beloved fudge. Still... pretty impressive on the selfless teenager scale.

I get why he loves it so much. (We love it too!) It's rich, delicious, and completely fool-proof to make. It's perfect for parties, special treats for friends, or around the holidays. I make a batch of it every year at Christmas time for my own family to enjoy, but this year, I decided to send it out on the neighbor Christmas goody plates as well.

Thank you Scott, for setting the example for sharing this irresistible fudge!



Scott's 5-Minute Refrigerator Fudge
Printable Version

Note: You can use milk chocolate, or semi-sweet, add nuts, or 1 1/2 tsp. of peppermint extract for a minty-fudge taste. You can crush candy and sprinkle it on top, or swirl in some caramel. Creativity works well with this recipe, because the fudge sets up so well in the fridge.

*Makes 48 servings


INGREDIENTS
4 cups milk chocolate chips (semi-sweet works too)
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS
Line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper.

Combine chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval until smooth, then add the vanilla, stirring for even distribution. Add any additional flavorings/mix-ins now.

Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish, and refrigerate until firm (2 hours +). Lift the fudge from the pan, and cut into 48 squares. Store in an airtight container in the refigerator.


~ Savings ~


Cost Breakdown:
24 oz. bag chocolate chips - $4.88 = 2 C = $4.88
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk - $1.64 
8 fl. oz. imitation vanilla - $0.98 = 48 tsp = $0.0204/tsp = $0.0204
Total Recipe Cost: $6.54
Cost per 2-Piece (2 oz.) serving: $0.13
;
The Contender
Old Fashioned Chocolate Fudge (12 oz. box) - $9.99
Cost per 2 oz. serving- $1.67

Savings:
92%

"Over a year" scenario:
Make 2 batches of Scott's 5-Minute Fudge = $13.08
Buy equivalent Old Fashioned Chocolate Fudge = $86.84

Money Saved: $73.76

8 comments:

  1. This looks so easy! I'm a big fan of fudge. Can't wait to try it. Oh, and Scott, thanks for the cost accounting. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole! I'm Andrea, Scott's sister... and he'll be so happy to know you enjoyed this recipe. :)

      Delete
  2. Can you use peanut butter chips rather than chocolate chips? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I've never made peanut butter fudge with this recipe... I make a mean cooked peanut butter fudge though. ;) I would imagine this would work with peanut butter chips, but maybe try using a bit less of the sweetened condensed milk... Like half the can.

      Delete
  3. Can this fudge be mailed? Have you ever sent it to relatives out of state? Since it must be stored in the refrigerator would there need to be dry ice (which I'm unfamiliar with!) in with it? What do you suggest I do?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, I've never mailed it, and wouldn't recommend it. (Unless you figure out the dry ice thing). I've never used dry ice either... I'm sorry I'm of no help in this department. Best of luck!

      Delete
  4. If I were to gift it to my kids teachers would I need to make sure they refrigerate it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't go bad very fast if It isn't refrigerated... It just gets a bit soft. So, yes, I would recommend you add a little note telling them to keep it in the fridge.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...